Allison Ellen

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Málaga life & Granada

 The weeks keep flying by here! I cannot believe that I only have less than 2 weeks until I go home.  

Tuesday afternoon I went to 2 different art museums.  The first was with my group from the US and we visited the Picasso Museum.  Picasso was born here in Málaga, but lived a majority of his life in France.  In his old age, he decided that he wanted a museum in him birth city.  We took a guided tour and learned a lot about a few of his pieces.  I am planning on going back this week to view the rest.  After, I met my class at the Thyssen Museum which is mostly 19th century Andalusian painting.



Tuesday night, I went to another intercambio.  This time it was just one Malagueño and another girl from New York.  After, my friends and I went out for Sangria and tapas.


Thursday, my friend Ashley and I went to the beach after class and then got ready to go to Granada. 

Excited to use our new beach umbrella.  All the Spaniards have them, so we are trying to fit in!

Wednesday night, we (Ashley, Luis, Brandon, and I) took a bus to Granada.  Granada is a smaller college type town about 2 hours northish.  It is famous for Spain's most visited tourist destination--La Alhambra.  La Alhambra is a palace/fortress that was originally constructed by the Muslim Moors in 889.  Today, it is HUGE and has several different areas to visit.  This place is always full of tourists and difficult to get tickets to.  Our tickets were for 9:30am on Thursday so we needed to get there the night before. We stayed in a very nice hostel not too far away.  This day was planned because we had it off from school due to a national holiday!

View from our hostel's roof top terrace.

Eating tapas in Granada



Inside the Nazarid Palace.  Almost ever wall was either carved intricately (see top of wall) or covered in tile (around doors and bottom of wall.)  Their attention to detail was incredible!




Next, we visited the Alcazaba.  It is similar to the one in Málaga, but with much better views.




Next, were the gardens--I have never been to any that were this beautiful!



Water stairway that helped transport water to places all over the palace.  Their innovation with water movement was so amazing!


After 4 hours of exploring, we decided to head back to the city center and look around before going home.

Cathedral that was unfortunately closed.

Time is always made for ice cream!

We found a geocache too!


Friday night we all headed down to the beach and watched the fireworks marking the beginning if La Ferria (more on that later.) 


This post is already so long, 
so I will post about the weekend separately.

Adios!

































No comments:

Post a Comment