Monday afternoon was spent at the beach near our school. It's so nice there and is a little less crowded than the beach near our house. Our señora packs us a lunch and we just walk there after class. I don't have any photos because I usually don't bring my phone to the beach. You have to be aware of pick pockets, so I bring as little as possible!
Tuesday we went to an "intercambio" or language exchange. These meetings are such a great idea and are easy to participate in. You simply sign up online and meet at the assigned bar. You pay 1€ and are placed in a group of 4-5 people. The first hour is spoken in Spanish and the second in English. These exchanges give us a chance to practice our Spanish with native speakers and give the native Spanish speakers time to practice their English. Not to mention, it is a great way to meet new people and learn things from the locals! It sounds sketchy, but is normal and safe here.
This is my group. The three on the left are native Malagueños and then the other guy next to me is German. It was a lot of fun and such good practice!
Wednesday we took a visit to La Alcazaba and then went to a fashion show on a roof top terrace. La Alcazaba is a fortress built during the 11th century by Muslims. It was then conquered by King Ferdinand and Isabella (the King and Queen who sponsored Columbus) in the late 1400s. The castle is very lavish and has many walls of protection. The gardens inside the palace walls are beautiful and contain orange trees and an intricate system for water collection in the flooring. It is somewhat well-preserved, as it was inhabited by vagrants until the 1960s.
We also looked at the Roman theatre just below La Alcazaba. It was recently uncovered by archaeologists and dates back to the 1st century BC. Throughout La Alcazaba you can see pieces the Muslims took from the Romans (when they conquered them) such as marble pedestals and baths.
I didn't take my camera this day, but will add pictures when I get them from my friends. When selecting this city, I had no idea about its rich cultural history, but am so interested now!
After dinner we attended the fashion show. Im not sure if it depends on the designer or if it is the Spanish way, but between collections there was a salsa dancer and then several modern dancers. It was too much fun!
Khyara, Luis, and I with the Cathedral in the background.
Salsa dancers
La paella con mariscos
Friday night we had another intercambio. This time, I was with a native Spaniard and a girl from Austria.
After, we went out for drinks and tapas, but called it an early night (2am is considered vey early here) as we had plans for
Marbella in the morning.














No comments:
Post a Comment